Saturday, March 3, 2012

Ashley is here!!

Ashley Margaret R. arrived at 5:29 a.m. on February 29th, weighing in at 7lbs, 15 ounces :)

I had a dr's appointment on my due date (27th) and my doc said my BP was slightly elevated, but he didn't seem too concerned, he just said if I started to feel off at all, just to go to L&D. The 28th, I woke up feeling AWFUL! I'd been sick with a cold though and thought maybe they was why I felt so crappy so I waited a bit. By 11 a.m. I realized it wasn't just the cold, so DH came home and we ran over to the drug store to use the BP machine. BP was 164/102! We went straight to the hospital. We didn't bring any bags or anything!

At the hospital, we figured they'd just monitor me a bit and send me home, but the doc didn't want to take any chances and I was already due anyway, so she told DH and I she would start the induction immediately!

DH ran home at that point to get our bags while the doctors brought me in to delivery to get the induction started. At 5ish, doctor broke my water and started me on Pitocin. I was only 1cm dilated, so I had some time. DH got back to the hospital with bags and then the wait began!

From the time they started the induction to around midnight, I went on 1cm to 3cms. At that point I was starting to feel strong contractions, I felt nothing before that.

I opted for an epidural, which they administered early at 3cms because the EPI would lower my BP. Once the EPI was in, I felt nothing. I started throwing up around 3:00 a.m. and the nurse was excited because apparently that can mean you're close! At 4:30 a.m. I was 9cms. Baby's heart rate was dropping with each contraction, so it was time to push!

I pushed for 45 minutes all the while trying not to throw up, at which point baby wasn't doing so well, so they used the vacuum and forceps to get her out quickly. Out she came and they took her to get her checked out right away. About 1/2 hour later they brought her back for a few minutes so I could hold her then I didn't get to see her again until 8:30 a.m. I kept throwing up, so they dosed me with Gravol, which knocked me right out!

When I was awake and they brought baby back in to the room, DH and I had a wonderful moment with little Ashley before we started calling people to come visit.

During delivery, I had a second degree tear, and some major swelling and bruising down below. I can't tell you how many nursing students were shown my bruised behind! I had back labour the whole time, do I guess that was part of it.

My experience with induction and labour over all was a good one. I really thought it would all be more painful, but honestly it wasn't. I don't think I ever reached more than a 3 on the pain scale, even when they had to pull her out. So far it's been the recovery that's been a 6-7 on pain so far. And very literally a pain in the butt.

Without further ado, introducing Ashley!
I will get better pictures I promise!

We're so very much in love with our leap year baby!! :)


  1. Congratulations!!! How cool - a leap year baby :) Ashley is adorable. I hope you start feeling better soon.

  2. so excited for you finally have your sweety! xoxo (mrs.monica)

  3. She is so sweet! Congratulations! :)