Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The 39 week appointment

Today's appointment was good and bad. I'll start with the good!

Good: Progress is being made! I had no mucous plug to speak of, which is weird, because I've never seen any of it. Cervix is high, but it is open at 1cm dilated! This is such good news. Doesn't really provide any insight as to when this baby will be born, but it's good to know things are moving along in some way.

Bad: My doctor did a membrane sweep without even consulting me about it. I'm not generally sensitive to cervical exams, but this one just hurt like hell. I was swearing my butt off just trying to get through it. Since the cervix was so high, he was taking his sweet time getting to it, which was uncomfortable... But the sweep was awful. When the exam was done, THEN he tells me he did a sweep. I would have thought he would have needed my consent to do this, but he never asked. Had I had the choice, I would have opted out.

Now I've been spotting and cramping since this morning, which I'm told is fine, but I'm pretty pissed about that part of the appointment.

Anyway, despite the painful experience, I will focus on the positive parts... Like this baby could be here any time, and I can't wait to meet her. I treated myself to Chinese food tonight, and my fortune cookie said that I would be rewarded for all my efforts. Awesome :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they didn't tell you/ask you before doing the sweep! That's awful! :(

    That is an awesome fortune cookie :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I can't believe they didn't ask you before doing the membrane sweep. That really seems like something you should have to agree to.

    Love the fortune cookie!

    ReplyDelete